The Loring Greenough House is a three-story Colonial-era mansion built in 1760. The house was commissioned by Joshua Loring, a commodore in the English Colonial naval forces who constructed the large four-square frame residence in the historic center of what is now the Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. An outstanding example of Georgian Colonial architecture, the House was the hub of a large farm that was Loring’s chief interest following his retirement from military service. His life as a distinguished member of the Colonial gentry came to an abrupt end with the bitter factionalism of the incipient Revolution. He fled the House in August 1774, for the greater security of central Boston. He and his family permanently left Boston for England in 1776.
Read more about the history of the Loring Greenough House by exploring the links under “The House” tab above.